The church has a fine organ which was originally built in 1878 by the well known Sheffield firm of organ builders Brindley and Foster. The year 1882 saw the complete renovation of the church with the installation of the current choir and pews, and the organ was moved to its current location. In 1948 work was carried out by T.C. Wilcock of Albert Road, Sheffield; this was most probably the installation of electric blowing.
In 1973 major work was carried out by Percy Daniel of Clevedon, the console being replaced with one with new manuals and tab-type stops. In addition new stops were added to all divisions to improve the organ tonally.
While the key and stop action are both electric, slider chests are used for much of the organ though the ranks added at the time of the 1973 rebuild are on direct electric action.
An unusual feature of the organ is that there are two swell boxes each with its own balanced swell pedal, one for the flues and a separate box for the reeds. The organ has a combination action giving 5 presets to each manual, which are duplicated with toe studs. A special coupler ensures that stops are drawn on the Pedal division automatically, matching the selections on the Swell and Great. The combinations can be easily changed by means of a matrix of miniature switches. Each has three positions, so that for each piston the controlled stop in the division can be set to come on, go off, or not change.
The organ is registered with the National Pipe Organ Register, NPOR N01066.
(Notes: Alan Cordwell)
|Pedal Key action El Stop action El Compass-low C Compass-high c1 Keys 25|
|Great Key action El Stop action El Compass-low C Compass-high c4 Keys 61|
|Swell Key action El Stop action El Compass-low C Compass-high c4 Keys 61 Enclosed|
|19||Viol da Gamba||8|
Swell to Pedal
Swell to Great
Swell octave to Great
Swell suboctave to Great
Swell unison off
Great to Pedal
Work is currently being undertaken to clean and repair the organ by organ builder Andrew Carter of Wakefield.